This was the theme that Iain chose for his party this year. We invited all of the guests to dress up as their favorite character.
The party itself was a whirlwind, with kids and mice and magicians racing every which way, and I have but a handful of blurry pictures to show for it.
We made 20 of these SouleMama style- little blank books- with a slight glittergoods twist (we threaded them a little differently)- and decorated in Nutcracker finery, to give out as party favors...
The party itself was a whirlwind, with kids and mice and magicians racing every which way, and I have but a handful of blurry pictures to show for it.
We made 20 of these SouleMama style- little blank books- with a slight glittergoods twist (we threaded them a little differently)- and decorated in Nutcracker finery, to give out as party favors...
I did up the big boys' costumes late the night before. The hot glue gun is my friend. Except when the fumes make me sick. And I badly burn myself. Ouch.
The wee one donned the top to a costume that belonged to my Mama, from a show that she played a part in during fifth grade! He wore it kimono style over a sleeper and never could there have been a more adorable representative of "China Tea".
I myself, attended the party in a lace lined flannel nightgown and slippers. I thought the style of the gown transformed me into a perfectly believable Claire (or Marie, or Kathleen, does anyone know why that girl's name never seems to stay the same?!?). Apparently, the affect wasn't as convincing as I presumed...about 15 minutes after people started arriving, Steve asked me, in all earnest, if I was planning on getting dressed anytime soon...
I myself, attended the party in a lace lined flannel nightgown and slippers. I thought the style of the gown transformed me into a perfectly believable Claire (or Marie, or Kathleen, does anyone know why that girl's name never seems to stay the same?!?). Apparently, the affect wasn't as convincing as I presumed...about 15 minutes after people started arriving, Steve asked me, in all earnest, if I was planning on getting dressed anytime soon...
You know it really is true what they say...you never do know what life may bring. If someone had asked me a couple of weeks ago to make a list of things that I never thought I would find myself doing, I would have felt quite comfortable putting sitting up late at night, piecing together a lavender and pink tutu for my husband, rather high on that list. And yet that's just what I found myself doing. We certainly needed a Sugarplum Fairy at a Nutcracker party and we're all about the comic relief here! Sadly, my efforts were in vain as Steve "forgot" to put on his costume, a fact that we are highly unlikely to let him live down anytime soon...
We welcomed guests with Tchaikovsky playing softly in the background and the scent of spiced cider filling the air. We broke out face pencils and crayons and the adults got busy putting the finishing touches on all of our little dancers. I was forced to call a truce between the mouse people and the Nutcracker clan, as there was simply not enough room inside for that much sword play!
I told a story to all of the children. There were presents to open and food to eat. We sang two different versions of "Happy Birthday". At one point a raven appeared outside. It was an exciting sighting for my family! Even more exciting was the fact that many of our guests, both child and adult alike, were equally eager to get a peek at it! So thoughtful of Mother Nature to provide us with such entertainment, for those who are willing to recognize it as such!
Many of our guests were also members of our family chorus. Someone struck up a song and everyone else joined in for that and many other songs. Love that. It pleases me to have my children surrounded by music and people who love music.
The birthday boy went to bed (early!) quite tired that night, but also quite content. The next day he told me that "if he ever plays at the Nutcracker for his party again, there will simply have to be less Mouse Kings", apparently there were too many to fend off!
2 comments:
What an amazing party!
Wowow!
Post a Comment