Friday, November 6, 2009

Mardi (a.k.a. the rainbow dress/tunic/tank)

note: I'll be updating this post with some new photos later in the week. I was just so glad to finally have it typed out that I thought I should put it out here!

I finally typed up the pattern for my one-size-fits most 6 months-6 years, grow-with-me dress-tunic-tank (it also looks adorable when worn as a jumper or sweater vest). More photos and information can be found here and here.

I think that for a larger child, going up a needle size, using thicker yarn and adding a bit of length should do the trick. If anyone tries this, let me know how it turns out! As is, it fits up to a 24" chest quite comfortably.

I've decided to call it Mardi, after the friend that sent me the yarn to begin with!


Mardi

Materials needed:
Size 2 circular needles
dk weight yarn
stitch markers

Gauge:
6 sts= 1"

Straps:

CO 125 stitches, join round
*Round 1: knit
Round 2: purl*
Repeat from * to * 3 times
Round 9: knit


Front Shaping:
Row 10: K15, bind off 35, k25
*You will now work back and forth in stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) on these 25 stitches, working the first and last 2 stitches in garter stitch (knit every row)* for 4 rows.
Row 5: k 2, kfb, k to last 2 stitches, kfb, k2*
Repeat from * to *
Break yarn

Shoulder strap shaping:
Join yarn and bind off the next 35 stitches

Back shaping:
Work as front shaping for a total of 3 sets (note that you will be working across 30 stitches instead of 25). Remember to keep the first two and last two stitches in garter!


Joining:
Cast on 10, place marker (this is the new beginning of a round), cast on 10
K across front, cast on 10, place marker, cast on 10, knit across the back to join the round.

Body:
*Kfb, k to 1 stitch before marker, kfb, slip marker, kfb, k to last stitch before marker, kfb*

Repeat from *to* until front measures 13” or to desired length

Trim:
*K one round, P one round*
repeat from * to*
Bind off all stitches


As always, I'd love to see it when you're done!

3 comments:

Momma said...

Melody, I love this little jumper-dress. I made one from your inspiration and am now very glad to see you have posted a pattern. I may just send you a pic of what I have made to show you since I am a beginner knitter. I hope to get a pic soon from the gal whose daughter I made it for.

Thanks.

Robin said...

I love this blog! It makes me so happy to see all the goodness and your sweet family. I've been trying to knit more and more for my family (I've got 6 children) but I'm having such a hard time finding affordable yarn! How do you do it? Is there any place to order cheap, but natural yarn? Thanks so much for all the wonderful posts!

Monica said...

Howdy!

I am considering trying this... do you have an estimation of how much yarn it takes?

(and of course, feel fee to ignore me if it is a bother, I don't want to be a burden :heart)